Stable Coins // Make 9% Interest With Crypto’s Best Kept Secret
Think about the last time you went to a “normal” bank. I know, who needs banks that often eh, but TRY to remember way back in the past. You go to the bank, see several employees with fancy clothes, a secure building, maybe a police guard and other things that must surely cost a TON of money. How do they afford millions in overhead costs per bank? They do that because they are making a killing off of you storing your money there. If you give the bank $1,000, they are investing $900 of it and keeping the $100 just in case you need it. This is called fractional reserve and it’s practiced by all traditional banks. Fortunately, the bank is kind enough to give you a measly .01% interest on your money. Maybe you put your money into a really good money-market savings account and get a little more than 1%.
With current inflation being 5% or higher, your cash is literally melting away in value as you store it with a traditional bank.
Traditional Banks vs. Crypto Banks
Traditional banks are making massive profits from your money because they have all the power and you don’t. These archaic, brick and mortar banks pay themselves first and you second with your money. #Rude
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies allow the user to exchange money without a third-party such as a bank or a government entity. This is how banks should be in the year 2021.
This means crypto puts the power back in the hands of you, the people. When you let a crypto bank hold your money, you make interest FIRST and the crypto banks make interest second. This is how it should be.
I make 9% interest on savings with Voyager and Celsius, yet some people who haven’t researched this might say it sounds too good to be true. The real truth is, we are just so used to banks robbing us blind that we don’t expect higher interest rates.
Crypto banks such as Voyager and Celsius have significantly lower overhead costs than brick and mortar banks. This is why they can afford to pay you a more fair interest rate on the money you store with them.
What are stablecoins?
A stablecoin is a cryptocurrency that is usually pegged to what is considered a more stable asset. One of the most popular stablecoins (and the stablecoin I use the most) is USDC. The USDC coin operates on the ethereum network. It is pegged to the US dollar.
1 US dollar will always = 1 USDC.
No matter what the crypto market does, up or down, 1 USDC coin will be worth $1.
Why should you have stablecoins?
A person may use Stablecoins for various reasons.
1) Stablecoins are faster than traditional banks. It should come as no surprise that traditional banks and crypto banks do not play well in the sandbox. Stablecoins, make on and off ramps very fast. The process of buying coins from your bank or selling coins and putting the money back in your bank can be very time consuming. Stablecoins are instant.
2) Stablecoins are the best dry powder! I don’t do many trades as I believe that dollar cost averaging is the best strategy. However, I do like to have a certain amount of money set aside in stablecoins. Any time there is blood on the streets, the crypto market takes a deep dive in the red, you can be certain I am buying great crypto coins at a discount.
3) Stablecoins make 9% interest! This is honestly my favorite thing about stablecoins. I like to leave my emergency funds completely in stablecoins for this reason. I have half of my emergency fund on Voyager and the other half of my emergency fund on Celsius. I do this to help mitigate risk and protect my assets.
What are the risks of using stablecoins?
There are two primary risks with stable coins.
1) If the crypto bank (Voyager or Celsius) goes under. This scenario is very unlikely as both of these companies have insurance protocols to keep your funds extremely safe.
2) If the US dollar collapses. This is a scenario that is hopefully unlikely, too. If your stablecoin is pegged to the dollar, 100 USDC will always = $100
What is the best stablecoin?
As mentioned before, I really like the USDC coin. The coin is partnered with Coinbase, which is a company that is known for complying to US government regulations.
Whatever you do, please never use Tether (USDT). Tether is considered a shady and unethical company that has been accused of printing more stablecoins than they had reserves to back them.
What apps should I use to earn interest with stablecoins?
Here are the two apps I both use and recommend:
#1 Choice // Voyager *Earn 9% APY on your USDC with Voyager *Voyager Promo Code: Download the app and buy $100 of BTC to get $25 free Bitcoin. *Use code 1AE3C8 or this link to claim your BTC: (https://voyager.onelink.me/WNly/referral?af_sub5=1AE3C8)
#2 Choice // Celsius *Automatically make 8.88% interest on your USDC. *Join Celsius Network using this referral code 1866831288 when signing up and earn $50 in BTC with your first transfer of $400 or more! https://celsiusnetwork.app.link/1866831288
About the Author
Derek McCloud, M.Ed has a master’s degree in education which helps him simplify complex ideas like crypto and explain them in ways that the masses can understand. He is passionate about Bitcoin and crypto because it can provide financial freedom to those who invest wisely. He hopes that people who make massive amounts of money from crypto will help him have fresh water wells dug around the world for those in need by the year 2025. To learn more about crypto and joy, check out his youtube channel.
*Nothing in this document should be considered financial advice. Do your own research. Only invest what you can afford to lose.
*Using referral links in this blog will offer you incentives as it also helps this blog stay alive.